The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf is the premier provider of specialized educational services for students who are deaf and hard of hearing in preparation for further education or successful employment. (Adopted by Strategic Planning Committee, May 2011)
We Believe that:
- Given an early, consistent and accessible language-rich environment and challenged by high expectations, learners will attain: academic and technological competence, the ability to think critically and creatively, and a strong sense of positive self-identity.
- Effective instruction links learning to life and fosters successful independence through academic, social, physical, cultural and self-reflecting personal experiences.
- Language access is the center of learning and literacy and levels the "playing field" for optimal achievement for all.
- An appropriate ASL/English bilingual program includes signed, written and spoken languages for deaf and hard of hearing learners.
- Each learner is unique. Valuing and respecting differences enriches the quality of life for everyone.
- Meaningful partnerships with families and diverse communities provide the foundation for personal growth and character development.
- Students flourish when engaged in safe and caring communities with which they identify.
Ultimately, we believe in our students
and they believe in us!