The Pennsylvania School for the Deaf (PSD) is a private, non-profit educational institution and regional resource center devoted to serving the broad needs of the deaf and hard of hearing communities in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
Founded in 1820 in Center City Philadelphia, programs include PSD, a tuition-free school for 225 deaf and hard of hearing children in preschool through 12th grade classes, and the Center for Community and Professional Services (CCPS), a collection of deafness related services available to the 250,000 deaf and hard of hearing persons in the Delaware Valley, their families, professionals in the field and the community at large. Both PSD and CCPS serve diverse communities throughout the Greater Delaware Valley area.
PSD is reimbursed by The Pennsylvania Department of Education for school operating expenses, but must raise money for all enrichment programs, technology needs, and capital expenditures. Formally opened in 1989, the Center operates as a separate entity from PSD, serving approximately 5,000 people each year. CCPS relies solely on special grants, fees for service and charitable donations to support its many activities which benefit deaf/hard of hearing people of all ages.